One quintessential expertise in Taiwan is to go to an evening market, and most of the people assume instantly of the well-known Shilin or Raohe Night time markets in Taipei. These night time markets are superior for a cause, however in case you are in search of various night time markets which are much less crowded and never full of different vacationers, right here’s my listing of underrated Taipei night time markets for that native meals expertise.
Additionally essential: my recs and analysis on what to eat at these Taipei night time markets. I like to recommend wandering round and choosing out your personal favourites, however truthfully, I get overwhelmed by the crowds and choices out there so I assumed it might be useful to record a number of the well-known stalls and specialities in every night time market that it is best to take a look at.
- 1 Underrated night time markets in Taipei
- 2 Nanjichang Night time Market 南機場夜市
- 3 Yansan Night time Market 延三夜市
- 4 Linjiang Road Night time Market 臨江街夜市
- 5 Jingmei Night time Market 景美夜市
Underrated night time markets in Taipei
Basically, most night time markets in Taipei function from about 6pm to 12 midnight, so head down for dinner or supper. Not all stalls are open every single day – perform a little little bit of analysis earlier than you go.
Right here’s a useful Google Map for you, and I’ve additionally included addresses and Google Map hyperlinks that will help you monitor down the stalls extra simply.
Nanjichang Night time Market 南機場夜市
Nanjichang or South Airport night time market is known as for an previous army airport that was as soon as constructed on this space – it received its identify in relation to Songshan Airport which is within the north of Taipei Metropolis. This night time market is just not very massive – most of it exists alongside 2 roads that meet at a cross junction. There’s a mixture of tiny eating places and road meals stalls.
What to eat
My suggestions come from an area man AJ who was additionally my motorcycle tour information. He lived across the space in his childhood and loves that most of the meals stalls he knew in his youth are nonetheless round.
Lai Lai Dumplings 來來水餃店: A dumpling store that has been round for over 30 years. Greatest eaten in a gaggle because the minimal order is 10 handmade pork dumplings for 70 NTD (S$three), however in case you’re me you simply have your self a whole plate for dinner. In case you are consuming in, seize a seat earlier than ordering what you need from the very busy employees. [No. 9, Lane 309, Zhonghua Road Section 2]
Haochi Zhaji 好吃炸雞: A meals stall alongside the primary Zhonghua Street that serves up a big crispy fried hen cutlet. Eat it whereas it’s scorching – I took a few of mine again to my room to eat and it was undoubtedly tastier when freshly fried. [No. 41, Lane 315, Zhonghua Road Section 2]
Anonymous Pushcart Shaobing 無名推車燒餅: No signboards or names wanted for this pushcart (a Michelin Bib Gourmand recipient!) situated near the Nanhai Street aspect of the market. Simply look out for the individuals promoting Shaobing, or fried biscuit-y snacks. These fried wonders vary from simply 10-15 NTD (S$zero.40-$zero.60) per piece. There have been four flavours to select from, I had a salty and a candy one they usually have been pretty crispy treats. [Lane 311, Zhonghua Road Section 2]
Meilan Auntie Fruit Juice 美蘭阿姨果汁: This woman has been round for ages and is a well-loved fixture out there. Her declare to fame is that no further sugar is added to the fruit juice she makes. I had an apple milk drink as a result of I used to be a bit curious concerning the mixture, however well-liked menu gadgets listed here are the papaya milk and the Eight-treasures combined fruit juice. [Lane 309, Zhonghua Road Section 2]
Different outlets that appeared fashionable that I didn’t get round to making an attempt:
- Shannei Hen 山內雞肉: situated on the entrance and all the time tremendous crowded. [No. 20-3, Lane 307, Zhonghua Road Section 2]
- Xiaodi Tongzi glutinous rice 曉迪筒仔米糕: situated on the opposite aspect of the doorway with equally lengthy queues. [Lane 307, Zhonghua Road Section 2]
- Ahnan Sesame Oil Hen 阿男麻油雞: This Michelin Bib Gourmand recipient is legendary for hen cooked in a sesame oil broth and sometimes eaten with mianxian (skinny vermicelli noodles) soaked in the identical broth. See some pix right here. [No. 34, Lane 311, Zhonghua Road Section 2]
- Smelly Tofu boss 臭老闆現蒸臭豆腐: Should you like smelly tofu, this model is absolutely vegetarian, steamed (not fried) and served with out MSG. Additionally widespread right here is the Pink Vinegar noodles. A Michelin Bib Gourmand recipient. [N0. 6, Lane 313, Zhonghua Road Section 2]
- Songqing Popiah 松青潤餅: Popiah is principally a skinny roll crammed with all types of greens and a few fried pork which additionally garnered a Michelin Bib Gourmand. [No. 4, Lane 311, Zhonghua Road Section 2]
Learn how to get there
Handle: Lane 307, Zhonghua Street Part 2, Zhongzheng District 台北市中正區中華路二段307巷 [Google Maps]
Closest MRT stations:
- Longshan Temple (blue Bannan line)
- Xiaonanmen (inexperienced Xindian-Songshan line)
From the MRT stations, you want about 15-20minutes of strolling to succeed in the night time market. Alternatively, take a bus to the Nanjichang Condo cease.
Across the space:
- The Nationwide Museum of Historical past is close by, nevertheless it’s more likely to be closed till 2021 a minimum of
- Discover the previous Wanhua District – Bopiliao Historic Block and Longshan Temple are usually not too distant
I first wrote about Nanjichang Night time Market on this article about native experiences to have in Taipei
Again to menu
Yansan Night time Market 延三夜市
Yansan Night time Market is a spot I came upon by probability, principally as a result of I needed to remain close to Dadaocheng and ended up at MudanHouse [booking.com affiliate link] which is true across the nook from the market. Yansan market is among the native spots advisable by the hostel, and the employees gave me some ideas on what to eat.
What to eat
Shijia xianrou tangyuan 施家鮮肉湯圓: this isn’t your common soup dumpling full of meat – the outer pores and skin is like mochi which is mushier (?) than your typical dumpling pores and skin. Very fascinating mouthfeel, and it makes for a surprisingly filling meal. With a historical past courting again to 1964, it was awarded the Michelin Bib Gourmand in 2018. [58 Yanping North Road Section 3]
Baoji Xiaolongbao 保記小籠包: One other native suggestion, you possibly can order any variety of soup dumplings as you need, however in case you are used to the Ding Tai Fung type of dumplings, notice that these are totally different with thicker pores and skin, and aren’t as delicate and soupy. Nonetheless yummy in fact. [3 Yanping North Road Section 3]
Stuff I didn’t get round to consuming:
I discovered a Yansan Night time Market meals tour obtainable in case you relatively have a guided expertise, although it’s essential guide their Xinyi or Dadaocheng excursions first.
The right way to get there
Tackle: Part three, Yanping North Street, Datong District 103台北市大同區延平北路三段 [Google Maps]
Closest MRT Station: Daqiaotou MRT station (Orange Zhonghe-Xinlu Line) Exit 1
Across the space: Yansan is the right place to cap off a busy day within the Datong district – it’s simply north of Dihua Road. Learn extra about it in my Taipei Weekend Warrior Information.
I first wrote about Yansan Night time Market on this publish about issues to do in Taipei in summer time.
Again to menu
Linjiang Road Night time Market 臨江街夜市
Linjiang Road Night time Market is also called Tonghua Night time Market 通化夜市 within the Da’an district. It’s not very removed from Taipei 101 so you’ll be able to pop over after catching the sundown at Taipei 101 or Elephant Mountain.
One fascinating factor concerning the space round this night time market is that there are a ton of low cost therapeutic massage parlours all over the place so it could be value getting a foot therapeutic massage after exploring the market. Additionally, there are numerous pet outlets within the space for some purpose.
What to eat
I’ll be fairly trustworthy – I breezed by way of this market as a result of I had already eaten dinner close by (craft beer and sandwiches – extra about that right here), however I did some analysis for this text and right here’s what individuals advocate to eat at Linjiang Road Night time Market:
- Shanghai Shengjian Bao 上海生煎包: These steamed and pan-fried buns that originated in Shanghai are probably the most common issues to eat right here. Additionally they serve pot-stickers 鍋貼 [106 Linjiang Street]
- Jin Ri Sushi 今日壽司店: Sushi could be a wierd selection of meals at an evening market, however this place is an area favorite [106-2 Linjiang Street]
There are additionally a number of Michelin Bib Gourmand recipients on this night time market value testing:
- Liang Ji Lu Wei 梁記滷味: Courting again to 1965, for many who love braised meals and duck elements – the intestines, wings and tongue are fashionable choices [No. 33, Lane 39, Alley 50, Tonghua Street]
- Luo Ji Xiao Chao 駱記小炒: The menu is surprisingly small – decide between stir-fried beef or lamb, or be adventurous and go for the stir-friend conch meat 炒螺肉 [No. 27, Lane 39, Alley 50, Tonghua Street]
- Ya Kou Tien Hsiang Smelly Tofu 雅口天香臭豆腐: The quintessential Taiwanese dish, go for the tongue-numbing Mala when you dare [19-1 Linjiang Street]
- Yu Pin Yuan Iced and Scorching Tangyuan 御品元冰火湯圓: The signature dish to eat right here is the Hearth-Ice Tangyuan or 冰火湯圓, which is scorching tangyuan (candy spherical balls of glutinous rice dumplings full of sesame or peanut) on shaved ice topped with Osmanthus honey [No. 31, Lane 39, Alley 50, Tonghua Street]
Issues that I did eat across the space past the night time market that you simply may need to contemplate:
Mingyue Tangbao 明月湯包餐館: I used to be in search of options to Din Tai Fung’s well-known soup dumplings and ended up on this local-favourite restaurant the place I had a basket of Xiao Lengthy Bao all to myself for dinner. The pores and skin is a bit of thicker than the Din Tai Fung one, however it’s nonetheless fairly yummy stuff. [162-4 Keelung Road Section 2]
Liquid Bread Firm: This hipster restaurant serves up craft beer in draft and bottles alongside fancy sandwiches. I used to be intrigued by the brilliant inside and in addition needed someplace to take a seat down and sit back with a chilly beer after an extended day of strolling. [270 Yanji Street]
The right way to get there
Tackle: Linjiang Road, Da’an District 106台北市大安區臨江街 [Google Maps]
Closest MRT station: Xinyi Anhe Station Exit three (pink Tamsui-Xinyi line)
Across the space: After a busy day in Xinyi seeing landmarks like Taipei 101, Elephant Mountain or the lovable 4-4 South Village, Linjiang Road Night time Market is a pleasant place to wind down.
I first wrote about Linjiang Road Night time Market on this article a few weekend itinerary for repeat Taipei guests.
Again to menu
Jingmei Night time Market 景美夜市
Jingmei Night time Market is about as untouristy as you will get. It’s each a day and night time market within the Wenshan district in south Taipei and even on a weekday night time, it was full of individuals. There’s a college close by, and the scholar crowd and locals are what retains the costs low.
There isn’t a lot to buy when it comes to style and novelties – a lot of the stuff listed here are sundries and sensible home items, however the low cost native meals is what most individuals are right here for.
What to eat
I walked all the market however was fairly overwhelmed by the crowds so I ended up consuming Japanese curry rice at a hipster spot referred to as FleeingByNight Curry 夜奔咖哩 as a result of it wasn’t crowded and had air-conditioning. However in case you are in search of extra native recs, right here’s what I discovered individuals are saying are must-eats at Jingmei Night time Market.
- Jingmei Shanghai Shengjian Bao 景美上海生煎包: this in style stall perpetually sees lengthy queues from as early as 5pm [55 Jingwen Street]
- Haochi Salt Hen 好吃塩水雞: Apart from its well-known salt hen, you can too select different small aspect dishes from the stall entrance right here they usually’ll combine it altogether for you. Extra pix right here. [113 Jingwen Street]
- Gao Jia 4 Spirits Soup 高-雙管四神湯: One other longtime mainstay of Jingmei night time market, it has a surprisingly hip wanting signage. Sishentang or 4 Spirits Soup is a milder kind of natural soup consisting of 4 foremost elements. Those that love innards will love that they arrive in a double layer right here. [139 Jingmei Street]
- Xiangzinei Rice Noodle Soup 巷仔內米粉湯: as its identify implies, the area is fairly tight with outdoors seats squished alongside an alleyway, however you’ll see it full of individuals anyway. Get your bowl of thick beehoon soup for simply 25NTD and order some aspect dishes to complement. See pix right here. [119 Jingmei Street]
- Jingmei Touhua 景美豆花: Opened in 1978, this store sells conventional Touhua or tofu pudding in addition to different icy desserts [86 Jingmei Street]
This Taipei Night time Market Tour on Klook [affiliate link] begins from Jingmei MRT Station, and may be a great way so that you can pattern extra meals.
Find out how to get there
Tackle: Jingmei Street, Wenshan District, Taipei Metropolis 台北市文山區景美街
Nearest MRT Station: Jingmei (Inexperienced Xindian-Songshan Line) Exit 2 or three [Google Maps]
Across the space:
- This spot in Xindian is a pleasant stopover after exploring Bitan on the finish of the Xindian line earlier than heading again to downtown Taipei. In case you are as much as it, cycle north alongside the river as an alternative of taking the MRT
- Different night time market stops value doing alongside the best way: Gongguan night time market at Gongguan Station, the place it’s also possible to go to Treasure Hill Arts Village, or Shida Night time Market on the Taipower Constructing Station. These are near the Nationwide Taiwan College and are additionally very fashionable with college students and extra off the vacationer radar.
I first wrote about Jingmei Night time Market on this article about native experiences to have in Taipei
Again to menu
What are your favorite night time markets to go to in Taipei? Inform me the place I ought to take a look at subsequent within the feedback.
On the lookout for uncommon issues to do in Taipei? Take a look at my Taipei posts or see all my Taiwan posts right here.